YubiKey for elections and political campaigns
Secure sensitive information across government elections
and political campaigns
Secure sensitive information across government elections and political campaigns
Easy, efficient, and strong authentication ensures protection against domestic and foreign threats by securing sensitive information and high-risk individuals.
Ensure email confidentiality
Foreign hackers are known to use email to infiltrate the political ecosystem. Passwords and SMS-based two-factor authentication (2FA) are easily phishable and insufficient to protect highly sensitive emails.
The YubiKey offers an added level of security for sensitive and confidential email. It is proven to eliminate phishing and account takeovers across GSuite, Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Office 365.
Secure access to computers
If not secured properly, laptops can provide entry points for external and insider threats leading to leaked campaign information that may have political, legal and financial repercussions.
The YubiKey offers secure access for laptops, protecting on-device applications and information such as campaign strategy, competitive analysis and fundraising data. Multiple login options include authentication for Macs, local Windows, Azure Active Directory, Active Directory and Microsoft Accounts.
Protect voter databases
Voter registration databases are a high-value target for attackers looking to disrupt democratic processes. If logins aren’t sufficiently secured, hackers can steal, corrupt or manipulate sensitive voter data.
The YubiKey provides strong hardware-based authentication to secure voter registration databases against hacking. Sensitive information and applications are always protected with a simple, cost-effective and standards-compliant solution.
Stop social media takeovers
Past elections have seen hackers compromise social media accounts connected to campaigns and elections. Political candidates and parties are especially vulnerable and need to secure against social account takeovers, as there can be potentially damaging personal, political and legal ramifications.
YubiKey enables strong verification of users before providing access to social media accounts— even if a user is tricked into giving up their username and password, the YubiKey isn’t fooled. Strong hardware-based security is combined with a easy-to-use and intuitive user experience that offers 4 times faster logins than SMS.
Case in point:
Midwestern U.S. state uses the YubiKey to protect voter registration database
- The state maintains sensitive voter records, which include information such as name, date of birth, address, and voting history.
- Needed a way to ensure voter data is secure against database hacking and up-to-date
- The YubiKey hardware-based authentication solution chosen to secure all external login requests.
- Key benefits include a highly secure solution to protect voter registration databases, and an easy-to-use solution for its diverse group of users.
- YubiKeys are cost-effective to maintain as they don’t require a battery, power source, or other parts that need to be replaced.
- Deployed more than 1,000 YubiKeys to employees accessing the voter registration database.
- Support for open authentication standards like FIDO U2F and FIDO2 ensures compatibility across all modern browsers.
- Freedom from a proprietary platform that could become obsolete or costly to maintain.
“While the attackers might be the same – we will definitely see nation states and cyber criminals and hacktivists – their motivations to attack a specific campaign would be greater than, say, an attacker who is probing networks, looking for someone who didn’t patch for the latest version of Windows.”
“We should expect to see attacks against election systems, elected officials, and candidates to only increase as the 2020 elections get closer.”
Identify Yourself: Cyber threat protection strategies in state and local government
Lessons learned from 2020 that can inform cybersecurity planning in the years ahead.
YubiKey for mobile for public sector solution brief
Securing mobile, tablet and notebook users with high-assurance multi-factor authentication.
YubiKey FIPS Series public sector brief
YubiKey FIPS Series brief for government and other public sector entities.