Password Safe YubiKey
Password Safe is an open source password manager. The YubiKey is used for two factor encryption of the database.
Special Password Safe YubiKey features
- Pre-configured with a Challenge-Response credential in slot 2 for use with Password Safe
- Password Safe does not require an internet or server connection for authentication
- Uses a hash-based message authentication code (HMAC) function (SHA1) to process the “challenge” and generate a response, re-encrypting the password database with a new random challenge each time
- Configuration can be duplicated on multiple YubiKeys, providing a method for backup access
Core YubiKey features
- Works instantly, no need to re-type pass codes from a device
- Works on Windows, Mac, Linux, Firefox, Chrome, etc
- Identified as a USB-keyboard, no client software or drivers needed
- Minimized form factor; 3 mm thin, 3 g light
- Practically indestructible; waterproof, crush safe, no battery
- Integration within minutes with free and open source server software
- Two slots for multiple configurations: OATH, Challenge-Response, etc
- Manufactured in USA and Sweden with best practice security processes
How it works
The PasswordSafe software uses the YubiKey Challenge-Response as part of its password database unlock logic; part of the unlock key is created from the response created by passing a random challenge through the YubiKey. Having 2 YubiKeys with identical challenge-response credentials provides you with the critical backup should the primary YubiKey be lost or stolen.
Where it can be used
The Password Safe YubiKey is specially configured to work out of the box with Password Safe and other applications based on challenge-response.