NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. CONTEST IS OPEN TO RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES, THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA AND WORLDWIDE, EXCEPT FOR ITALY, BRAZIL, QUEBEC, CUBA, IRAN, SYRIA, NORTH KOREA, SUDAN, and MYANMAR (BURMA).
ENTRY IN THIS CONTEST CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
The YubiKing Virtual Hackathon (the “Contest”) is a skill contest where participants must develop a solution (“Solution”) that utilizes the YubiKey. The Solution will be evaluated by judges, who will choose the winner(s) in accordance with these Official Rules. The prize(s) will be awarded to participant(s) with the highest score for the judging criteria. See below for the complete details.
- BINDING AGREEMENT: In order to enter the Contest, you must agree to these Official Rules (“Rules”). Therefore, please read these Rules prior to entry to ensure you understand and agree. You agree that submission of an entry in the Contest constitutes agreement to these Rules. You may not submit an entry to the Contest and are not eligible to receive the prizes described in these Rules unless you agree to these Rules. These Rules form a binding legal agreement between you and Yubico with respect to the Contest.
- ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible to enter the Contest, you must be: (1) above the age of majority in the country, state, province or jurisdiction of residence (or at least twenty years old in Taiwan) at the time of entry; (2) not a resident of Italy, Brazil, Quebec, Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Korea, Sudan, or Myanmar (Burma); and (3) not a person or entity under U.S. export controls or sanctions. Contest is void in Italy, Brazil, Quebec, Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Korea, Sudan Myanmar (Burma), and where prohibited by law. Yubico reserves the right to verify eligibility and to adjudicate on any dispute at any time.If you are entering as part of a company or on behalf of your employer, these rules are binding on you, individually, and/or your employer. If you are acting within the scope of your employment, as an employee, contractor, or agent of another party, you warrant that such party has full knowledge of your actions and has consented thereto, including your potential receipt of a prize. You further warrant that your actions do not violate your employers or company’s policies and procedures.
- SPONSOR: The Contest is sponsored by Yubico Inc. (“Yubico”), with principal place of business at 420 Florence Street, Suite 200, Palo Alto, CA 94301, USA.
- CONTEST PERIOD: The Contest begins at 9:00:00 A.M. Pacific Time Zone in the United States on March 20, 2015 and ends at 9:00:00 A.M. PT on June 15, 2015 (“Contest Period”). ENTRANTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR DETERMINING THE CORRESPONDING TIME ZONE IN THEIR RESPECTIVE JURISDICTIONS.
- HOW TO ENTER: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. To enter the Contest, visit the Contest website located at yubi.co/yubiking (“Contest Site”) during the Contest Period and submit your YubiKing entry via the entry form. Written parts of entries must be in English to be eligible. The Solution must, at a minimum, support English language use. All submissions must be received by Yubico by June 15, 2015 and include a short description of the proposed solution and the proposed environment or platform. The final submission must have an accompanying video explaining and demonstrating the application and functionality of the final submitted solution. If posted publicly, the video should be tagged with #yubiking. All final submissions must be submitted or received by June 15, 2015, and can be made using the official entry form, via email to email@example.com, or by mail. Any submission by mail must be on either CD/DVD or USB media, must meet all submission requirements, and must be received by Yubico at either the Palo Alto or Stockholm office on or before the Contest End date. Any branding included on a submission should be created by the individual/team who worked on it and should not present itself as a Yubico product or service. Submissions must be free of malware. Existing solutions and commercial products may be submitted as long as they were not made available to the public before January 1, 2015. During the Contest Period, Yubico, its agents and/or the Judges (defined below) will be evaluating each Solution to ensure that it meets the criteria listed below. Yubico reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any entrant who submits a Solution that does not meet the criteria.LIMIT ONE (1) ENTRY PER PROJECT. Subsequent entries will be disqualified. All entries must be received by 9:00 A.M. (Pacific Time in the United States) on June 15, 2015. Entries are void if they are in whole or part illegible, incomplete, damaged, altered, counterfeit, obtained through fraud, or late. All entries will be deemed made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry, and the potential winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder for that email address. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned to an email address by an Internet service provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email address for the domain.
- JUDGING: Each entry will be judged by a panel of experts who are employees of Yubico (“Judges”). On or about June 15, 2015, each Solution will be evaluated by the Judges based on the following criteria:
- Originality: How original is this solution compared to other products and platforms already available. The submission should provide a unique approach to solving a problem.
- Usefulness: Does this solution improve the quality and security of an application, product, or service.
- Security and User Privacy: Does solution ensure user data is safe and kept private.
- Scalability: How easily could the application be scaled.
- Impact: What is the potential for the submission to drive immediate real world impact.
- Functionality: Working functionality of the application as submitted.
- Design / User Experience: How easy and intuitive is use of the solution. Does it use the YubiKey in a way that takes advantage of its ease of use.
On or about July 1, 2015 the potential winner(s) will be selected and notified by email. If a potential winner does not respond to the notification attempt within 5 days from the first notification attempt, then such potential winner will be disqualified and an alternate potential winner will be selected from among all eligible entries received based on the judging criteria described herein. Except where prohibited by law, each potential winner may be required to sign and return a Declaration of Eligibility and Liability and Publicity Release and provide any additional information that may be required by Yubico. If required, potential winners must return all such required documents within 14 days following attempted notification or such potential winner will be deemed to have forfeited the prize and another potential winner will be selected based on the judging criteria described herein. In the event the potential winner is a minor, his or her parent or legal guardian must sign the documents and return them as described herein. All notification requirements, as well as other requirements within these Rules, will be strictly enforced.
In the event that no entries are received, no prize will be awarded. Determinations of judges are final and binding.
- PRIZES: The winner(s) of the YubiKing challenge will receive US$3000, per project, regardless of number of team members. Odds of winning any prize depends on the number of eligible entries received during the Contest Period and the skill of the entrants. The prize(s) will be awarded within approximately 8 weeks of receipt by Yubico of final prize acceptance documents. No transfer, substitution or cash equivalent for prize(s) is allowed, except at Yubico’s sole discretion. Yubico reserves the right to substitute a prize, in whole or in part, of equal or greater monetary value if a prize cannot be awarded, in whole or in part, as described for any reason. Value is subject to market conditions, which can fluctuate and any difference between actual market value and ARV will not be awarded. The prize(s) may be subject to restrictions and/or licenses and may require additional hardware, software, service, or maintenance to use. The winner shall bear all responsibility for use of the prize(s) in compliance with any conditions imposed by such manufacturer(s), and any additional costs associated with its use, service, or maintenance. Contest Entities have not made and Contest Entities are not responsible in any manner for any warranties, representations, or guarantees, express or implied, in fact or law, relating to the prize(s), regarding the use, value or enjoyment of the prize(s), including, without limitation, its quality, mechanical condition, merchantability, or fitness for a particular purpose, with the exception of any standard manufacturer’s warranty that may apply to the prize(s) or any components thereto.
- TAXES: PAYMENTS TO POTENTIAL WINNERS ARE SUBJECT TO THE EXPRESS REQUIREMENT THAT THEY SUBMIT TO YUBICO ALL DOCUMENTATION REQUESTED BY YUBICO TO PERMIT IT TO COMPLY WITH ALL APPLICABLE STATE, FEDERAL, LOCAL AND FOREIGN (INCLUDING PROVINCIAL) TAX REPORTING AND WITHHOLDING REQUIREMENTS. ALL PRIZES WILL BE NET OF ANY TAXES YUBICO IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO WITHHOLD. ALL TAXES IMPOSED ON PRIZES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNERS. In order to receive a prize, potential winners must submit the tax documentation requested by Yubico or otherwise required by applicable law, to Yubico or the relevant tax authority, all as determined by applicable law, including, where relevant, the law of the potential winner’s country of residence. The potential winner is responsible for ensuring that (s)he complies with all the applicable tax laws and filing requirements. If a potential winner fails to provide such documentation or comply with such laws, the prize may be forfeited and Yubico may, in its sole discretion, select an alternative potential winner.
- GENERAL CONDITIONS: All federal, state, provincial and local laws and regulations apply. Yubico reserves the right to disqualify any entrant from the Contest if, in Yubico’s sole discretion, it reasonably believes that the entrant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, deception, or other unfair playing practices or annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses any other entrants, Yubico, or the Judges.
- the data controller is Yubico and the data recipients are Yubico and its agents;
- your data is collected for purposes of administration of the promotion and for marketing purposes;
- you have a right of access to and withdrawal of your personal data. You also have a right of opposition to the data collection, under certain circumstances. To exercise such right, you may write to Yubico YubiKing Contest, 420 Florence Street, Suite 200, Palo Alto, CA 94301, USA;
- your personal data will be transferred to the U.S.
- PUBLICITY. By accepting a prize, entrant agrees to Yubico and its agencies use of his or her name and/or likeness and the Solution for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law.
- WARRANTY AND INDEMNITY: Participants warrant that their Solutions are their own original work and, as such, they are the sole and exclusive owner and rights holder of the submitted Solution and that they have the right to submit the Solution in the Contest and grant all required licenses. Each entrant agrees not to submit any Solution that (1) infringes any third-party proprietary rights, intellectual property rights, industrial property rights, personal or moral rights or any other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, privacy, publicity or confidentiality obligations; or (2) otherwise violates the applicable state, federal, local or provincial law.To the maximum extent permitted by law, each entrant indemnifies and agrees to keep indemnified Contest Entities at all times from and against any liability, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses resulting from any act, default or omission of the entrant and/or a breach of any warranty set forth herein. To the maximum extent permitted by law, each entrant agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Contest Entities from and against any and all claims, actions, suits or proceedings, as well as any and all losses, liabilities, damages, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorneys fees) arising out of or accruing from (a) any Solution or other material uploaded or otherwise provided by the entrant that infringes any copyright, trademark, trade secret, trade dress, patent or other intellectual property right of any person or defames any person or violates their rights of publicity or privacy, (b) any misrepresentation made by the entrant in connection with the Contest; (c) any non-compliance by the entrant with these Rules; (d) claims brought by persons or entities other than the parties to these Rules arising from or related to the entrant’s involvement with the Contest; (e) acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize or participation in any Contest-related activity or participation in this Contest; (f) any malfunction or other problem with the Contest Site; (g) any error in the collection, processing, or retention of entry information; or (h) any typographical or other error in the printing, offering or announcement of any prize or winners.
- ELIMINATION: Any false information provided within the context of the Contest by any entrant concerning identity, mailing address, telephone number, email address, ownership of right or non-compliance with these Rules or the like may result in the immediate elimination of the entrant from the Contest.
- Contest Entities are not responsible for any malfunction of the entire Contest Site or any late, lost, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, undeliverable, or destroyed submissions or entry materials due to system errors, failed, incomplete or garbled computer or other telecommunication transmission malfunctions, hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, typographical or system/human errors and failures, technical malfunction(s) of any telephone network or lines, cable connections, satellite transmissions, servers or providers, or computer equipment, traffic congestion on the Internet or at the Contest Site, or any combination thereof, including other telecommunication, cable, digital or satellite malfunctions which may limit an entrant’s ability to participate.
- RIGHT TO CANCEL, MODIFY OR DISQUALIFY. If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest, Yubico reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Yubico further reserves the right to disqualify any entrant who tampers with the submission process or any other part of the Contest or Contest Site. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any web site, including the Contest Site, or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Yubico reserves the right to seek damages from any such entrant to the fullest extent of the applicable law.
- NOT AN OFFER OR CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT: Under no circumstances shall the submission of a Solution into the Contest, the awarding of a prize, or anything in these Rules be construed as an offer or contract of employment with either Yubico, or the Contest Entities. You acknowledge that you have submitted your Solution voluntarily and not in confidence or in trust. You acknowledge that no confidential, fiduciary, agency or other relationship or implied-in-fact contract now exists between you and Yubico or the Contest Entities and that no such relationship is established by your submission of a Solution under these Rules.
- FORUM AND RECOURSE TO JUDICIAL PROCEDURES: These Rules shall be governed by, subject to, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California, United States of America, excluding all conflict of law rules. If any provision(s) of these Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect. To the extent permitted by law, the rights to litigate, seek injunctive relief or make any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or in connection with this Contest are hereby excluded, and all participants expressly waive any and all such rights.
- ARBITRATION: By entering the Contest, you agree that exclusive jurisdiction for any dispute, claim, or demand related in any way to the Contest will be decided by binding arbitration. All disputes between you and Yubico of whatsoever kind or nature arising out of these Rules, shall be submitted for binding arbitration under its rules then in effect in the Palo Alto, California, USA, before one arbitrator to be mutually agreed upon by both parties. The parties agree to share equally in the arbitration costs incurred.
- WINNER’S LIST: You may request a list of winners after July 1, 2015 and before December 31, 2015 by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to:Yubico Inc.
420 Florence Street, Suite 200
Palo Alto, CA 94301